OHIOFIRE Archives

May 2000

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Brian Wilbur <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 09:04:21 -0400
>Secondly, I would also like to throw this out at the list: Which do you
>preffer, surprize fire drills or announced fire drills, and why?
>I feel that there should be a set schedule of fire drills, but that there
>should also be a few unannounced drills so that students do not get
>complacent.
>Thoughts?

Fire drills are an opportunity to learn and/or reinforce correct
behavior.  Simply sounding the alarm to see if they can do something that
hasn't been defined doesn't accomplish much other than irritate everyone
involved.  Just think of the reactions on both sides of the fence to the
last unannounced drill you ran.  Students are upset they're interrupted
and inconvenienced;  safety officials are upset that students don't see
the value of the exercise and/or know how to do it "right".

Define learning objectives that coordinate with the facility evacuation
plan, train on the objective as appropriate, and hold a series of
announced drills to test the training and progress towards meeting all
goals.  If done well, building occupants will anticipate this, not rebel
against it.  In general, students and staff can plan around the event -
not to avoid it, but to accomodate it.

Once goals are met, agree to hold a few unannounced drills to "test"
their learning.
You may find that all involved feel much more positive towards the
process and the
outcomes.

This isn't as complicated as it might sound.

Brian H. Wilbur, EFO - Fire Chief
Ithaca Fire Department
310 West Green Street
Ithaca, New York  14850