ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Gretchen Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 23:44:49 EDT
Hi,
Sorry to keep posting, but I wanted to make one clarification about the
school at which I teach and the students.

Upon rereading my posts, I felt that I unwittingly represented us as an
elitist private school with rich professional parents.  For the most part,
this is not true.  Because of the high cost of living in the Silicon Valley,
most of our parents struggle to survive - even with both parents in
professional jobs.  California public schools in this area are ridiculous -
teachers with 120 students a day, four-five preps, and no supplies.  Many of
our families are making huge sacrifices to send their kids to private school
because of the problems in public schools.

We also have a very high percentage of ADD/ADHD/LD kids whose parents feel
that the small class size and structure of our school are beneficial to their
students.  We have no spec. ed teachers, and our kids are not tracked for
Language Arts.

In our lower school, we also have a higher number of Hispanic and African
American students.  We tend to lose them before middle school for social
reasons.

Thanks for the opportunity to clear this up.  We're a working class (for
California!) private school.

Gretchen Lee