ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Gretchen Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:10:07 EDT
In a message dated 6/23/2000 7:36:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Might I suggest that, instead of hammering on a computer at Big Sur, you
 enjoy nature.  Have fun. >>

Gulp.  You mean teachers are allowed to do that?

Thanks, Jeff.  My summer school on writing and technology starts Monday
(grades 5-7 - creative writing and website design).  Is there any interest in
a selection of UNedited student work being posted to a page for perusal this
summer?  (Be warned - our book is _Robin Hood_, and the students are always
fascinated with animals.  We may have "Robin Hood and Maid Marion - the
Guinea Pig Adventures"!)

I have found (and written articles about) the effect of an authentic audience
on motivating students to care about editing.  They are much more careful
about work that is destined for the web than anything they do for "just" the
teacher/themselves.  No one wants to look "dumb" to the whole world.

If there is interest, I can just post some samples with their permission and
not link our main site to it.  They're used to my seemingly nonsensical
requests ("You want us to do what?!") and so would probably be fine with it,
as long as the audience is limited.

--Gretchen (who virtuously bought Gardner and Glasser for her trip but also
slipped in a trashy beach novel)