ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Connie Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 12:39:07 -0400
Neat points, Paul.  I've found that students who do a lot of reading typically
have a MUCH better command of the syntactic resources of the language as
writers, though not necessarily a  good command of traditional usage or
editing skills.  This is just an informal observation, though; it would be
great to investigate it more formally.  I doubt, however, that you'll
necessarily find a connection between students' CONSCIOUS awareness of
grammar, or lack of conscious awareness, and his/her reading ability.  Again,
though, this is based just on my personal experience with students and with
colleagues who write stories for publication.  And yes, of course, the same
could and should be done with students' gaps in reading strategies and skills
(reading is my other major area, and how to do such assessment and teaching is
a major part of my reading courses).

Connie Weaver
Western Michigan University