ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Max Morenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 12:49:32 -0600
Connie, I'm afraid I must agree with the points you make about teaching
grammar and about textbooks and publishers. Twenty some years ago (probably
25), I was approached by a young editor from a large publishing company.
He had been just been put in charge of the revision of a popular grammar
series.  He decided it wasn't really very coherent or thoughtful about its
approach to grammar.  And he wanted me (and several other young
grammarians) to bring the series up to date, to make it follow a coherent
pattern from elementary through high school.  He wanted the series to
follow Hunt's insights about syntactic development, and he wanted someone
like me, who had studied with Kelly Hunt at Florida State, to head the team
of writers.  The young editor had done his homework and obviously wanted to
produce a useful, thoughtful series of textbooks.  The editor's enthusiasm
was catching.  But a week or two after he had first approached me at a
conference, he called and said that his plan had been scrapped by his
editorial board.  The grammar series, they admitted, wasn't very good.  But
it sold well.  And they weren't about to change the formula that made it a
bestseller.

Perhaps things have changed in the publishing industry since the mid 70s,
but I suspect that the bottom line still prevails.

At any rate, Connie, my own experiences in and out of class support your view.

Like you and most of the folks on this listserv, I'd like to see a more
thoughtful view of grammar prevail.  But we have to be realistic about the
world we live in.  Publishers care about bottom lines.  Few people are
concerned with syntactic niceties, not even many English teachers. And
humanities departments have come to believe that language has little
meaning. Perhaps that last view is changing.  But the first two will have
to change a great deal for the son of that young editor to prevail with an
editorial board.

I don't think we've yet convinced many of our young teacher condidates that
they have much reason to teach grammar except as a surface proofreading
issue.

It's good, though, that this listserv is facing the issues.  Maybe some
good will come of such discussions.  I hope so.  Max