ATEG Archives

July 2000

From:
Ed Vavra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 00:05:34 -0400
I hesitate for fear of intimidating Janet, but I would suggest that
books such as the one she suggests are precisely the problem in grammar
courses for future teachers. There is a major difference between
learning about the different grammars of English (a MAJOR task in
itself) and learning how to apply one grammar effectively. Too many
future teachers are given courses about grammar, rather than courses in
a practical grammar.
     I would further suggest that this relates to David Mulroy's "modest
proposal." When we learn terms such as "mammal" and "reptile," we can
look at the world and recognize mammals and reptiles. But after courses
about grammar, most future teachers cannot look at a text and recognize
most subjects, finite verbs, clauses, etc. Just today, for example, we
interviewed a prospective adjunct, and in the course of the discussion
she noted a "problem" with new teachers -- they don't know any grammar.
When one of them was asked by a student for the part of speech of a
word, the teacher responded with "That word doesn't have a part of
speech." As long as you continue to teach about grammar, rather than
grammar, all of you who do that are going to fail.

The request is for Dave Sawyer. Would you please send me a copy
(preferably electronic)  of the program of the conference, so I can post
it on the web site?

Congratulations to the new officers, and I'm happy to hear that all of
you who attended had a good time. I am, by the way, curious about
whether or not the 3S committee did anything. I spent the time I would
have been at the conference working on my web site and added, among
other things, an essay on the definition of "Clause." It includes the
fact that, according to my earlier questionnaire, the members of ATEG
can not agree about what a "main clause" is. (Such disagreement
contributes to the problem David Mulroy mentioned.) For those of you
interested in statistical research, there is also a new essay on the
definition of the "T-unit." Both can be found starting at:
http://www2.pct.edu/courses/evavra/KISS_New.htm

Ed V.