FACULTYTALK Archives

October 2000

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Michael Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 18:01:28 EDT
Carolyn,
    All of the topics are great but I really like #2 and #3.

    One other topic that may be of interest. . . something to the effect of
methods and strategies to teach a class where everyone is not on the same
level.  My typical class of 40 might have 5 outstanding students, 5 that
haven't even purchased the book, 15 who purchased the book but won't read it
and the rest typically average undergraduates.  What level and speed do you
teach to?  Since we're mission driven, I can't take the attitude that you're
left in the dust if you don't keep up, yet, I must keep the class challenging
and interesting enough for those who work.
    I'd love to hear from others as to how they cope with similar situations.

Mike Katz

P.S. -  Since there was zero response to my idea regarding the paper
situation at the conference I'll presume that it was so bad that people were
loath take even a moment to criticize it.