FACULTYTALK Archives

November 2000

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
SALLY GUNZ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 08:23:34 -0500
From an outsider's perspective, the discussion on the ALSBTALK has provided an
extraordinary opportunity to learn about basic US legal principles. There are
so many fundamentals I find I just didn't fully understand, most importantly
the true nature of State's rights. I would hope no one censored themselves from
joining in. Even on those days when there isn't time to read the messages, a
simple hit of "delete" works.

FYI -- even in Canada and even where we had a clear majority win we can have
recounts. Yesterday a recount in Quebec had a vote go from Libs to Bloc
(Separatist). There was mention of the radio of now there being an automatic
judicial recount under the circumstances so for me this will be yet another
learning opportunity. I am unaware of the niceties of election law here.

Sally