FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2001

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Lizbeth Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 15:46:01 -0700
With respect to Les's comments on "previously published", he and I both
thought it was against the rules to present an already published paper or
even one that had been previously presented at another conference.  If that
is so, where is it written?  Is it just custom?  If so, how do newcomers
learn of this custom?  Are we wrong?  We had a published paper presented and
the presenter was a long time member who rather strongly disagreed with our
thoughts about the appropriateness of presenting a published paper.  So what
gives on this issue?  Shouldn't the ALSB web page clearly state any
guidelines on this issue?  (maybe it does and I just didn't find them?)

W/ regard to the Albuquerque meeting:
Everyone who is going to the Albuquerque meeting should take a look at the
"Activity" page that Ginny has put together.  The major problem will be
choosing between some really fantastic sight-seeing / dining opportunities
scheduled at the same time.  (eg. yes, the "El Pinto" restaurant is a
"tourist" facility but I assure you that the Mexican food and the flamenco
dancing is authentic - they have served many a US President there, including
Bill.  It is a gorgeous spot w/ incredible patio dining.  My husband and I
often dine there when we are in the area. )

Now, in my mind I can already hear Frank Cross teasing me about my pride in
my New Mexico heritage (there are very few of us natives left with all the
Texans and Californians moving in -- since so many of them have come to stay
I can't be the only one who thinks the place is pretty great).  I have to
say, however, that it is really difficult to appreciate how great some of
these events really are. I have been to all of them except the Acoma Pueblo
(aka City in the Sky), so if anyone wants a more graphic description, call
or write to me.  I look forward to seeing you all there.  Liz