OHIOFIRE Archives

March 2001

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dan Maas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:36:40 -0500
Ed,
Since around 1995 Cornell has had a program to reduce false fire
alarm activations caused by dust, insects and cooking smoke.  The
program started with one problem building, was then implemented in
other residence halls and has now been used in academic buildings.
Basically, we replaced older smoke detectors (primarily FCI brand
devices) with new detectors that have tighter screening and smaller
chamber openings to keep out dust and insects and have lower
sensitivity leves (higher obscuration rate needed for alarm
activation).  We also installed zone verification modules in
locations where we were seeing alarm activations due to normal
cooking activities.  Since Cornell Environmental Health & Safety
responds to all fire alarm activations, we're able to replace smoke
detectors at the time of an alarm, watch for alarm activation trends
and problems and identify facilities that need detector cleaning.
Also, new fire alarm installations are all addressable systems and
those systems can identify dirty/dusty smoke detectors and send a
trouble signal to alert us of their need for cleaning.  Despite a
significant increase in the total number of alarm initiating devices
on campus we've been able to decrease the number of alarm
activations.  Currently, our number one major cause of false alarm
activations is work by shop or construction personnel.  Other than
occasional malicious alarms and activations for actual fires, our
residence hall false alarms have been reduced to almost zero.  I can
put you in touch with the folks that are managing our alarm reduction
program if you need more information.

DANIEL MAAS      (607)254-1634     FAX: (607)255-1642
Emergency Management Coordinator/Event Management Coordinator
Fire Protection & Emergency Services
Cornell University Environmental Health & Safety
EH&S Bldg,  201 Palm Road, Ithaca, NY  14850
email: [log in to unmask]

The comments and views expressed in this communication are
strictly my own and are not to be construed to officially represent
those of my peers, supervisors or Cornell University