ATEG Archives

March 2001

From:
Martha Kolln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:47:41 -0500
Tom:  In your first example, I think that the ALSO makes the TOO superfluous.
I think that using TOO might be the more effective version, but I would
delete the comma preceding it.  The version with ALSO takes away some of
the stress that falls on EXCELLENT; I like the rhythm of the TOO version
better.

In your second example, the colon is misused.  That appositive series
should be set off with two dashes.  The sentence itself needs a bit of
revision, it seems to me.  I was put off by the verb ASSUME.  If one
actually measures a room using those tools, then what follows is a matter
of knowing, not assuming, isn't it?

In answer to your question about the correct punctuation of TOO, both
methods are correct.  Sometimes the comma, or commas, are called for, and
sometimes not.  it depends on the focus and rhythm you want to achieve.

Martha Kolln