ATEG Archives

March 2001

From:
Omarjohns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 16:30:58 +0300
The Washington Post, The Red Pencil, By Chris Redgate
Wednesday, March 21, 2001; Page C11
Yeah, right: The New York Times Corrects T. S. Eliot's Grammar

Christopher Lehmann-Haupt, a major book reviewer for The New York Times,
actually suggested that the first line in 'Prufrock' needs a fix: 'But hold
on! This means that one of the great writers of the 20th century committed
a grammatical blunder in one of his most famous poems. 'Let us go then, you
and I,' reads the first line of T. S. Eliot's 'Love Song of J. Alfred
Prufrock.' 'When the evening is spread out against the sky/ Like a patient
etherised upon a table.' Oh, well, it just goes to show that all of us
writers make our share of grammatical errors. Me and T. S. Eliot! T. S.
Eliot and I.'

___

So, what is the error?

Omar