WMUBTALK Archives

June 2001

WMUBTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cleve Callison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WMUB Talk Shows <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 06:50:20 -0400
Today's Talk Shows on WMUB (http://www.wmub.org/today)

Monday, June 25, 2001

Interconnect with John Hingsbergen and Cheri Lawson (9am - 10am,
repeated 7pm -8pm)
        Help for Attention Deficit Disorder. Guests: Kate Kelly and
Peggy Ramundo, authors of "You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy";
and Daniel G. Amen, M.D, author of "Healing A.D.D."

The Diane Rehm Show (10am - Noon)
        Hour One: missing persons
        Hour Two: Don Snyder, author of a new novel about the
troubles in Northern Ireland

Fresh Air with Terry Gross (Noon - 1pm)
        Screenwriter Alan Ball ("American Beauty")

Public Interest with Kojo Nnamdi (1pm - 2pm); guest host Mary Tillotson
        "Families As We Are: Conversations From Around The World"

Talk of the Nation with Juan Williams (2pm - 4pm)
        Hour One: auto safety
        Hour Two: lying

All Things Considered (4pm - 7pm)
        This week the United Nations is holding a special session on
HIV and AIDS

coming up soon in local talk
        (live and interactive 9am - 10am, repeated 7pm - 8pm)

tomorrow on the Todd Mundt Show
        The history of American Music.It started in churches, cotton
fields, and Minstrel Shows. It came of age in Tin Pan Alley, on
Broadway and in concert halls. Now in Nashville, Detroit, New York,
Seattle and Los Angeles... its an industry thats worth several
billion dollars a year.

Wednesday on Sound Health with Marianne Russ
        Our monthly FitTalk program, hosted by "Dr. Jay" Kimiecik,
PhD, Associate Professor in Health Promotion at Miami University.
Guest: Dr. Kathleen Hutchinson, Chair & Professor of Speech
Pathology, Miami University and Dr. Louise Van Vliet, Associate
Professor of Speech Pathology and Audiology

Thursday on Help Desk
        Mac and PC questions answered with Ted Beerman and Guy Moore

Friday on WMUB Forum with Darrel Gray
        tba

Sunday on Talk of the Week (a 4 pm re-broadcast of one of the
previous week's talk show)
        tba

DETAILS:

Interconnect with John Hingsbergen and Cheri Lawson (9am - 10am,
repeated 7pm -8pm)
        Help for Attention Deficit Disorder. Guests: Kate Kelly and
Peggy Ramundo, authors of "You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy";
and Daniel G. Amen, M.D, author of "Healing A.D.D."

The Diane Rehm Show (10am - Noon)
        Hour One: Missing Persons: There are many national and
international organizations devoted to helping find missing and
abducted children, but often, families and friends learn there are
few resources to help locate missing persons over the age of 18. A
panel talks about the particular difficulties involved with missing
persons cases when the person missing is an adult. Guests: Clint Van
Zandt, former FBI agent; Kym Pasqualini, president, Nation's Missing
Children Organization and Center for Missing Adults
        Hour Two: Don Snyder: In August, 1998, a terrorist bombing in
the center of Omagh, Northern Ireland, killed twenty-eight people.
Author Don Snyder traveled to Omagh a few days later, and his
observations of the aftermath of the tragedy inspired his new novel,
"Night Crossing" (Knopf). The bombing becomes the centerpiece of a
story that is about the relationship between an American woman and a
British soldier.

Fresh Air with Terry Gross (Noon - 1pm)
        ALAN BALL. He's the creator of the new H-B-O series called
"Six Feet Under", about a family that owns and operates a funeral
home. Ball has also won an Academy Award. He wrote the screenplay for
"American Beauty."

Public Interest with Kojo Nnamdi (1pm - 2pm); guest host Mary Tillotson
        "Families As We Are": FROM BRAZIL TO BANGLADESH, THERE ARE
THOSE WHO BEMOAN THE DECLINING IMPORTANCE OF "FAMILY." BUT NOT
JOURNALIST PERDITA HUSTON (HUE-sten). SHE JOINS KOJO TO DISCUSS HER
UNIQUE VIEW ON THE ROLE OF THE FAMILY IN THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY,
AFTER CONDUCTING INTERVIEWS WITH GENERATIONS OF FAMILIES IN MORE THAN
THIRTEEN COUNTRIES. Guest: Perdita Huston (HUE-sten -- like the city
in Texas), author of "Families As We Are: Conversations From Around
The World" (Pub: The Feminist Press); former Peace Corps Country
Director for Mali and Bulgaria

Talk of the Nation with Juan Williams (2pm - 4pm); guest host Steve Inskeep
        Hour One: AUTO SAFETY: The 2001 Mitsubishi Montero is unsafe
according to Consumer Reports. The magazine says that S-U-V tipped
onto two wheels at speeds below 40 miles per hour. Mitsubishi says
that's not true. Still, are cars as safe as they could be?
        Hour Two: LYING: Last week, Pulitzer prize winning historian
Joseph Ellis admitted he lied about his military service in Vietnam.
The revelation has shocked colleagues, friends and students of the
highly-regarded college professor. Why would someone with such
impeccable credentials make up stories about his personal life? Truth
is viewed as one of the bedrocks of our personal and professional
lives, and is the basis of many faiths. Yet whether they're little
white lies or big whoppers, most people lie at some point in their
lives - for different reasons, under different circumstances. What's
the effect of lying on our relationships, our careers, and on society?

All Things Considered (4pm - 7pm)
        "Partners in Health": This week the United Nations is holding
a special session on HIV and AIDS. Getting drugs to poor countries to
stem the death toll is one major topic on the agenda. Today on All
Things Considered, a report on one clinic in a poor nation that's
effectively getting needed medications to patients. It's in Haiti --
where four-hundred-thousand people have HIV.

Cleve Callison <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
General Manager, WMUB Public Radio
Williams Hall, Miami University, Oxford, OH 45056
513-529-5958, 513-255-1201 cell, 513-529-6048 Fax
http://www.wmub.org