OHIOFIRE Archives

August 2001

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jim Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 07:43:24 -0400
This came from the WVU website at: http://www.nis.wvu.edu/releases/Schwindfire.htm

Morgantown fire claims WVU student from Michigan

            CONTACT: News & Information Services, 304-293-6997 Becky Lofstead, 304-292-2932 (Home)

            An early morning fire at a one and one-half story apartment house at 723 College Ave. Saturday (Aug. 18) claimed the life
of a 20-year-old West Virginia University student, Thomas Michael Schwind of Huntington Woods, Mich.

            Schwind was a third-year sophomore physical education major and a member of the WVU swim team.

            Fire officials said seven people were in the house at the time of the fire. Five of them lived there, including Schwind,
and two were visiting. One roommate had not arrived back at school for the start of the fall semester, which begins Monday (Aug. 20).

            Officials said three of the roommates were taken to the hospital with non life threatening injuries; two were released
and one kept for observation. The fifth resident and the two guests were not injured.

            The cause of the fire, which started on the street level of the home, is still under investigation, but fire officials
ruled out an electrical source. There were apparently three smoke detectors in the home; two were operational.

            "This is certainly a tragic way to begin the fall semester," said David Satterfield, chief of staff and vice president
for Institutional Advancement. " Our hearts go out to the Schwind family
and to all the students who were affected by this fire and the death of their friend."

            WVU Student Life officials have been in touch with the victim’s family to offer condolences and support. Temporary
housing at the Holiday Inn and other support services for the displaced students has been offered. In addition, counselors have been
on the scene offering comfort and support, and will continue to do so in the coming days and weeks.

***

Jim Robinson
U of Md