THEDRUM Archives

August 2001

THEDRUM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Rodney Coates <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Drum: Black World Studies at Miami University
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 12:50:29 -0400
My Brother /family

you are correct..

I am saying that Europeans took advantage of our unrest, they profited from
it, and with the advent of full scale slave trade and colonialism they
helped intensify it. The truths that I am offering is that profiteers -like
the Asante in Ghana..who by the way have admitted their complicity in the
African Slave Trade..aided the Europeans in this portion of Africa ...by
procuring other Africans to sell, constructing forts on African Soil to
facilitate this sale, and by entering into lucrative trade agreements with
Europeans to continue this process..
I am saying that they were ignorant of the moral, ethical and cultural
differences between the European hell that we have come to know as
slavery..and that which existed in Africa at the time..

I am saying that colonialism was not accomplished by the destruction of
Africa..all too often..the Europeans found corrupt Africans that allowed
them in through the back door..again..the story of Ghana is productive..the
English..were defeated on three separate occasions by the Asante then on
the 4th attempt..they were able to take advantage of a split in the royal
family..they sided with one of the factions in the dispute..who then
allowed the Brits in..
this story is duplicated with Shaka Zulu..who...was seduced by the British
promise of military might, and power..they gave him weapons..with which he
pulverized his opponents..only to be conquered by the Brits..
the story is simple.
the Europeans ....magnify the divisions between Africans, they encourage
these divisions, they side with one or the other, they supply them with
advanced military technology..then they sit back and reap the benefits of
the carnage that follows..
I am saying that..currently..since colonialism..military despots in Africa
have been manipulated by European capitalist to maintain the unrest and
super exploitation in Africa
I am saying that it took other Africans in this country to keep the slaves
in line..no Europeans could do this alone..so through a system that
encouraged deceit, dishonesty, distrust, and traitors to our own..that
people like Frederick Douglass, Sojourner Truth, John Brown, and countless
others were betrayed by black "Judas Goats"..
I am saying that the truth is that we must learn to trust each other, that
we must learn to love each other, that regardless of what we are..we
remember who we are..
I see brothers..and sisters killing themselves over colors....Nike shoes,
Greek customs...etc..etc..
I see these tokens of white capitalism..being absorbed by our brothers and
sisters..and i am reminded of the message of Steven Biko..the most potent
weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed..i am reminded of the
message of Malcolm X..that we must learn to love our blackness..to get past
the oppression that we have internalized..and to see the beauty of who we
are..and not what..they have told us we are..
these are the truths that lead to black liberation and away from slavery...
yours in love..
rodneyc..

For more of my poetry please check out

http://gw.cas.muohio.edu/umoja/www.ulbobo.com/umoja/index.html

umoja

A new series:
The Art of Love for the Emotionally Impaired please check out:

http://communities.msn.com/TheArtofLovefortheEmotionallyImpaired/_whatsnew.msnw

only when lions have historians will hunting cease to be glorified

rodneyc..