THEDRUM Archives

August 2001

THEDRUM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Rodney Coates <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Drum: Black World Studies at Miami University
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 16:49:40 -0400
Any takers please respond directly to Vince ..and thanks..

rodneycoates

From: "Parrillo, Vince" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Research Project Invitation
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 14:03:26 -0400

Hello, Rodney.
Hope you had a great sabbatical and are enjoying your summer. I've got
several other things I want to talk to you about, but I'll send you a
subsequent e-mail on those. Right now I'm in the midst of large e-mailing
as described below.
I am heading a national research project that essentially replicates the
Bogardus Social Distance Survey, but is slightly modified to reflect the
nation's more diverse population. I was hoping you might be interested in
participating.
What this would entail would be the administration in September 2001 of a
brief questionnaire, easily completed in less than five minutes, to between
100-200 students at your institution. These students may be undergraduate
or graduate students, although we would prefer that the greater majority of
them be freshmen or sophomores, and absolutely none of them should be in any
race and ethnic relations class. You should also strive to have your
student respondents at least approximate the national population--for
example, don't administer the questionnaires in black studies or chicano
studies classes, but rather in intro level courses. Once you have the
completed questionnaires, you would send them to me.
Your students' responses would be incorporated within the national sample.
No institutional responses as such will be reported. However, if you would
like that information, we would provide you with an institutional analysis
as a courtesy for being a contributor. We would not do this institutional
analysis unless you request it, and then only for purposes of giving you
that information. We will, however, automatically share with you the full
national study upon its completion.
I hope you will agree to participate in this exciting project. It has been
a quarter century since a national social distance study has been done and
we have much to learn. Because we are on a tight schedule, I would
appreciate hearing from you as quickly as possible.
Thanks for your consideration and have good new academic year.
Best regards,
Vince
****************************
Vincent N. Parrillo
Professor and Chair
Department of Sociology
William Paterson University
Wayne, NJ 07470
Phone: 973-720-2669
Fax: 973-720-3522
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

For more of my poetry please check out

http://gw.cas.muohio.edu/umoja/www.ulbobo.com/umoja/index.html

umoja

A new series:
The Art of Love for the Emotionally Impaired please check out:

http://communities.msn.com/TheArtofLovefortheEmotionallyImpaired/_whatsnew.msnw

only when lions have historians will hunting cease to be glorified

rodneyc..