FACULTYTALK Archives

October 2001

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Michael O'Hara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 13:28:53 -0500
+++snip+++
"Americans are advised by many abroad (and by some at home): "Ask
yourselves why you are so hated."
+++snip+++

Given the flow of comments this above snippet has generated on ALSBTALK, as
one of the former Chairs of your Alternative Dispute Resolution Section, I
will note that I know of no, repeat no, method of  negotiation which
recommends ignorance of your opponent and your opponent's beliefs and
motives.

Failure to ask and answer this question accurately is the apex of
incompetence for a negotiator in today's context.

Now, you might suggest that negotiation is the last thing we should
entertain at this time.  Leaving aside that I believe such as suggestion is
completely in error, might I suggest a short book.  It was written just a
while ago.  It won't take more than an evening to read, but it may take
more than your lifetime to grasp.

It is:  "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu.  My preferred translation from this
500 B.C. Chinese treatise is by James Clavell, of "Shogun" fame.

Per Sun Tzu, to not ask and answer this question accurately is the apex of
incompetence for a warrior.

Take you pick, peace or war, if you wish success in either, then you must
ask and answer that question accurately.

In the short run, ignorance of your opponent and ascribing attributes to
your opponent very often is more gratifying.  The long run consequences of
such behavior tend to be must less so.

Your link to Barnes and Nobel is
http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=0GIF5YO7YJ&mscssid=T231W7M92SG29G3QM28KLFP5WLRXFSU5&salesurl=Ishop%2Ebarnesandnoble%2Ecom%2Fbooksearch%2Fisbninquiry%2Easp&isbn=0385299850

If you prefer a web version of "The Art of War", then might I suggest
http://www.chinapage.com/sunzi-e.html

Michael

Professor Michael J. O'Hara, J.D., Ph.D.
Finance, Banking, & Law Department
College of Business Administration
Roskens Hall 502
University of Nebraska at Omaha
Omaha  NE  68182
[log in to unmask]    (402) 554 - 2823 voice