THEDRUM Archives

February 2004

THEDRUM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Rodney Coates <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rodney Coates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:21:18 -0500
OutKast Grammy Performance Offends American Indians
Indian Country Today, News Report,
Compiled by Peter Micek, Feb 09, 2004

The Grammy Awards Sunday night included a racist
performance that has some readers appalled,
according to letters to the editor of national
newspaper Indian Country Today.

Rap group OutKast, who won a Grammy Award for album
of the year, performed their hit song Hey Yawhile
dressed as Indians from outer space.

I love that song,writes Roxanne Chinook, a Native
American from Bellingham, Wash., but I was
disappointed to view that mockery of our culture.

The newspaper, owned and operated by New Yorks Oneida
nation, posted multiple letters Monday on its Website.

In a letter titled, OutKast offends with
stereotypical performance,reader Christopher Backs
of Ft. Walton Beach, Fla., says it reminds him of the
fake Indiansin bogus Hollywood production numbers
in the 1940s big-band era.

Just because it was a black performer, not white,
Backs writes, should not let them off the hook.

Reader Zoltan Grossman remarks, I wonder how [Outkast
member Andre 3000] would feel if Eminen performed a
rap in blackface.

Two letters urge readers to complain to CBS, which
broadcasted the awards show.

In an attempt to avoid a controversial stunt like
Janet Jacksons at the Super Bowl last weekend, also
broadcast on CBS, the network used a 5-minute tape
delay at the Grammys.

I wonder why CBS apologized for Janet Jackson showing
skin at the Super Bowl,Grossman writes, but not
OutKast stereotyping people at the Grammys.

Whoever draws the line of discretion for Grammy
performances (remember Janet Jackson was uninvited
because of her breast!),writes Colleen Boyd of
Wesleyan University, really dropped the ball on this
one.

She decries the cartoonishcostumes of the dancers,
who were nearly nude.

Boyd links the anti-Indian toneof their show, held
in Los Angeles, to Calif. Gov. Arnold Schwarzeneggers
political reputation as an Indian fighter.

There is no doubt this was an attempt to spoof Native
peoples ­ the background set was a tipi and an
introductory voice over mentioned that the Natives
are getting restless,'" Boyd says. If you saw it and
do not like it, I urge you to take action and let CBS
know what you think.

Despite being glad OutKast won the award for best
album, reader Chinook echoes Boyds criticism, saying
she didnt enjoy the performance because of its
similarity to old 30s musicalsand the
stereotypical characters in old, Hiawatha,Bugs
Bunny-type cartoons."

  rodneyc..

  If we are to combat the insanity of our world, we need to explore love,
self, and each other.  Join me in this exploration

  When love reigns supreme, then we will see the beauty of our existence!

  Please check out my new series: The Art of Love at the following url:

http://communities.msn.com/TheArtofLovefortheEmotionallyImpaired/_whatsnew.msn

  More Generally: My poetry can be found at:

  http://gw.cas.muohio.edu/umoja/www.ulbobo.com/umoja/index.html