THEDRUM Archives

February 2004

THEDRUM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Rodney Coates <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rodney Coates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:29:53 -0500
IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Black Leaders Express Outrage Over ABC-TV Selection of Justin Timberlake as
Co-Host of "Motown 45" Special

A coalition of prominent African American organizations and leaders are
demanding that the American Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) remove
entertainer Justin Timberlake as co-host of "Motown 45," the upcoming
ABC-TV special.  Outraged over the selection of Timberlake to co-host this
musical celebration, the coalition is launching a national e-mail, fax and
phone campaign against ABC to protest Timberlake's inclusion in the Motown
tribute.

Motown has a proud and historic legacy of being one of America's greatest
musical institutions.  It has launched the careers of some of the most
prominent  African American artists in recording history including Stevie
Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Diana Ross and The Supremes, Smokey Robinson and The
Miracles, The Four Tops, The Commodores, Lionel Ritchie, The Tempations and
the Jackson Five.  "The selection of Timberlake as co-host of this Motown
special is a cultural insult to the black community," says Najee Ali,
Executive Director, Project Islamic HOPE.   "This special, celebrating the
success of the legendary music label, should not be compromised in the
pursuit of a crossover audience."

In addition, Timberlake's recent handling of the Super Bowl incident has
been met with harsh criticism in the black community.  He immediately
distanced himself following his performance with Janet Jackson and failed
to accept his responsibility in the "wardrobe malfunction."  "I mean I was
completely shocked and appalled, and all I could say was, 'Oh, my God, Oh,
my God,'" Timberlake told reporters at a recent Grammy rehearsal.

"We cannot support Justin Timberlake co-hosting Motown 45," says Ali.  "We
are asking concerned citizens to call, fax and email ABC-TV in protest."

Call (818) 460-7777, e-mail and send your letters to:

Alex Wallau
President
ABC Television Network
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521

Lloyd Braun
Chairman
ABC Entertainment Television Group
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521

Andrea Wong
Senior Vice President
Alternative Series and Specials
ABC Entertainment
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521

  rodneyc..

  If we are to combat the insanity of our world, we need to explore love,
self, and each other.  Join me in this exploration

  When love reigns supreme, then we will see the beauty of our existence!

  Please check out my new series: The Art of Love at the following url:

http://communities.msn.com/TheArtofLovefortheEmotionallyImpaired/_whatsnew.msn

  More Generally: My poetry can be found at:

  http://gw.cas.muohio.edu/umoja/www.ulbobo.com/umoja/index.html