ZOO408A Archives

February 2004

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"TUCKER, Casey" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TUCKER, Casey
Date:
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 23:16:51 -0500
Let me assure everyone that I did not send the message that was sent out from my e-mail address.  I recently completed several virus scans, using updated virus definitions, & was given a clean bill of health.  Additionally, our e-mail system has special virus scrubbers to prevent these things from occuring.

I also did not receive a confirmation message telling me that I had sent something to the listserv, though I did receive the message.

I should mention that it is entirely possible for another subscriber to the list to be infected.  Some viruses will search in an infected computer's address book & then arbitrarily send itself out to the addresses in that address book using the address of someone listed in that same address book.  I would recommend that everyone update your virus definitions & run a virus scan on your computers.  Some good anti-virus software out there includeds McAfee & Norton Anti-virus.

On  a different note I ventured back over to the Wilds on Saturday for the Prairie Falcon being reported from there.  Unfortunately, I got skunked...literally.  I saw one roaming in the fields where the bird had been seened, & there were many dead on the road.  I also saw quite a few Rough-legged hawks (one really beautiful dark phase), several Northern Harriers (though quite a few less than last weekend), and quite a few Short-eared owls (30+).  There were some guys from West Virginia who accidentally stirred up 12 Short-eared owls in one grove of pines while they were searching for me (I had gotten my car stuck in a mud puddle & had to call for their help via FRS radio...I had the hardest time trying to figure out how I was going to explain my whereabouts to AAA.."well, you go down to where the falcon is being seen & take a left on the dirt road.  Drive past the Short-eared owls until you see an oil pump & then you take a right at the Rough-legged hawk....").  It was amazing to see the difference a week made.  There were fewer Horned Larks, and many more Red-winged blackbirds (which were completely absent from the area last weekend).

It was also interesting to see a who's who of birders who showed up to wait out the falcon.  It felt like a class reunion or something.

Good luck & happy birding!

Casey