ATEG Archives

March 2004

From:
"Crow, John T" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:30:24 -0500
While I agree with everybody that the target sentence is a fragment, I would
be very reluctant to mark it as such.  Fragments are often used as a
rhetorical device to emphasize or express an afterthought, and this seems
like the perfect example of such a usage.  When I encounter this in student
writing, I note that technically it is a fragment, but that it can be used
for rhetorical effect.  I read the sentence to the class, showing them how
intonation and pausing are used to achieve the effect orally.

Operationally, you can clearly demonstrate that the sentence is a fragment.
A fragment cannot be appended to "It's true that _________."  In this case,
the resulting sentence results in nonsense:

It's true that that is if you're lucky enough to not have your whole house
blown away.

However, Christine's other examples fit very nicely:

It's true that that is why I quit my job.
It's true that that is when you know you are in trouble.
etc.

John