ATEG Archives

March 2004

From:
kaboyates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 23:06:39 -0600
I wish I knew who has ever claimed otherwise

"No one in my classes thinks or leaves thinking that all dialects are
socially or politically equal."

Who has ever said that all dialects are socially or politically equal?
I can't think of any linguist who has.

Of course, here is the danger point.

>    Perhaps one of the reasons this becomes so political is that there
>are enormous political implications. An articulate populace is more
>likely to defend its own interests.

What does this mean?  I don't think that it necessarily true that a
populace is "inarticulate when their concerns are voiced in
a non-standard dialect.   A point that Jim Kenkel and I made in our
Syntax in the Schools paper was about
Sojourner Truth's famous question "ain't I a woman." It seems to us that
it is rhetorically more powerful than
"am  I not a woman."  After all, isn't it possible that even people who
do not control the standard are to be treated as anyone else with respects
to the laws of this land?

Further, consider the difference between Jackie Robinson and Mohammed
Ali.  I certainly would not argue that
Ali was not articulate in defending his position on not wanting to kill
any Viet Congs.

Here seems to be the problem.

>>>That students learn in linguistics courses
>>>that all dialects are equal is some kind of urban myth.

This all depends on "equal.".  If we mean that all dialects are equally
complex, then this is no urban myth.  Of course, it is true.  In fact,
because at least one stigmatized dialect of English has grammaticized an
aspectual distinction that is not available in "standard English,"  an
argument could be made that this dialect of English is not equal.

Finally, we need to recognize that learning the "standard" is necessary
to be successful in our society.  The present occupant of  1600 Pennsylvania
is proof that this is clearly false.  If you are born in a particular
class in the US, you can go to the best universities in this country and
be "successful."
My best example is one of the few statements Bush has ever made and is
true.  Bush has said, "Rarely is the question asked is our children
learning."

The teaching about variation in language is much more complex than most
of us like to think.

Bob Yates, Central Missouri State University