FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2004

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Ginger, Laura" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 18:21:42 -0500
I asked my husband, who is an IO psychologist and teaches human resource
management here at IU, if he could think of any published research in
this area.  Here is his response.  If you want to contact him directly,
he is Prof. George Dreher at [log in to unmask]
Laura

*********************************
I suggest that he take a look at the following article in AMJ. My
recollection is that these researchers reasoned (and found) that
announcements of U.S. Department of Labor awards for exemplary diversity
programs would be associated with positive stock returns and that
announcements of damage awards from settlements of discrimination
lawsuits would be associated with negative stock returns. The questions
considered here differ from the question Professor Bird is pursuing -
but I think this article might open to a relevant and related management
literature.

Wright, P., Ferris, S. P., Hiller, J. S., and Kroll, M. (1995).
Competitiveness through management of diversity: Effects on stock
valuation. Academy of Management Journal, 38, 272-287.