ZOO408A Archives

September 2004

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
William Buskirk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Buskirk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:41:11 -0500
Today's early morning walk on the Earlham back campus (Richmond,
Wayne County, 7:00-9:00) with Jim Seaney, Ron Williams, Mary Lou
Thomas, Rosemarie Othmer, Paul and Cherie Ogren was productive.
While we didn't see a lot of diversity, we did get some nice looks at
a number of birds.  Highlights:

Cooper's Hawk 1
Killdeer 2
Pileated Woodpecker 1 (heard only)
White-eyed Vireo 1 (great look)
Yellow-throated Vireo 1 (singing, great look)
Red-eyed Vireo 1
Brown Creeper 1
Swainson's Thrush 2
American Robin 150 est.
Cedar Waxwing 130 est. (some with orange tail tips)
Tennessee Warbler 3
Magnolia Warbler 1
Black-throated Green Warbler 1
Cape May Warbler 1
Black-and-white Warbler 2 (great look)
Common Yellowthroat 1
Lincoln's Sparrow 1 (great look)

Jim Seaney reported that he had an American Bittern on Edwin Way
Teale Pond on the Earlham College back campus last Sunday (26 Sept)
and a Prairie Warbler that the Cope Environmental Center,
Centerville, Wayne Co., on the same day.  The warbler was more than
two weeks later than the local late date for the species!

We'll meet again next Tuesday at 7:00 on the porch of the Stout
Meetinghouse on campus for a walk.

Bill Buskirk
Biology Department
Earlham College