ATEG Archives

November 2004

From:
"Hadley, Tim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 09:18:21 -0600
This simplistic answer may not be correct, but I'll take a stab at it.

In your sentence, it seems to me that "home" is a condensed substitute for a hypothetical/understood prepositional phrase, as in . . . a trip "to their home." Further, in the fuller hypothetical sentence, there might be something like "The poorest students can't afford [to take] a trip [to their] home[s]." As such, "home" might now be seen more as adverbial, as would the hypothetical prepositional phrase "[to their] home."

Just a possibility--don't know for sure if this is accurate.

I do like your comment about how grammar, no matter how it is formulated, is not an exact science--an important point to teach students.

Tim Hadley
Ph.D. candidate, Technical Communication and Rhetoric
Texas Tech University