ZOO408A Archives

November 2004

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 20:48:23 -0500
Greetings... Bob Lacker and I birded the Voice of America Park for a wee bit
Sunday morning. I had a pressing engagement to go to yesterday in
Cincinnati--Disney On Ice--so I only had a little bit of time. Highlights in
an hour or so of rambling about: 1,000+ grackles (all flyovers), 30+ eastern
meadowlarks (many singing), 1 dead eastern meadowlark (not singing), 1
Nashville warbler (a little on the late side), + song sparrows, 4
white-crowned sparrows, 3 savannah sparrows, 2 field sparrows. One each
ruby-crowned and golden-crowned kinglets, 1 kestrel, 2 Wilson's snipe, 2
horned larks.

If you visit the VOA and walk off of the mowed trails into the fields that
have been recently bush hogged, you'll need to watch your step. There are
some mighty big holes left over from the old antenna farm days, one of which
nearly claimed my lower torso a couple weeks back. We found some additional
holes Sunday morning, though these were navigated a little more gracefully.

Take care,
---Mike Busam
West Chester