ATEG Archives

January 2005

From:
Edward Vavra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:54:05 -0500
Michael,
     Thanks for your response, but perhaps I did not make myself clear. I certainly do not believe that all grammarians should agree, that they should all use the same terminology, or that they should all have the same philosophical basis for their theories of grammar. But there is a fundamental difference between linguistic and pedagogical grammars. What the public wants, and their desires are clearly reflected in some comments by some members of this list, is a clear, consistent descriptive grammar than can be used to discuss English sentence structure. That discussion should include correctness, but also style and logic. The consistency here is important. As in my example of "clause," communication fails when different teachers, and different textbooks, use the same words to refer to different things. In other words, the numerous grammatical perspectives of the linguistic grammars simply cause confusion in the K-12 classroom. As a result, most of the teachers hate to teach grammar * they themselves find it confusing.

Martha,
    Thanks for suggesting that I have solved the problem by using the term "gerundive." (Herb and Johanna don't seem to get the point.) Although you say that I have solved it for myself, I'm not so sure of that. The KISS list has over a hundred subscribers, and I regularly get notes from people who are not on the list but who apparently love the approach. They find the site itself confusing * it has so much on it that it is difficult to navigate. But they love the approach, finding it comprehensible, usable, and useful. More and more people are asking for a book or books that use the approach. It is possible that, in the absence of any competition, KISS grammar may become an international standard for teaching, simply by default.

Ed