FACULTYTALK Archives

January 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robert Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 09:13:10 -0500
Hello folks:

After following this discussion, I couldn't resist the opportunity to
plug a paper I have coming out in the Syracuse Law Review in February.
The title is, "Under the Radar: The Resistance of Promotion Biases to
Economic Market Forces."  The paper focuses on the trouble black men
have in advancing in corporate and organization hierachies. Our data
focus is football and basketball coaches. We try to explain why black
coaches are more successful in basketball than in football even though
both sports are dominated by black athletes. One intriguing observation
is that college promotion records are worst than the pro's with college
football being particularly dismal.

Clearly minority and female advancement in professional careers are
related.  Invariably someone raises the "innate differences" argument
because it is difficult to explain the different success rates using
easily observable  variables.  Some economists have spent entire careers
arguing that discrimination cannot exist in free-market economies, the
implication being that lack of success rates must be due to innate
differences.

Yet, there are multiple psychological biases including stereotypes,
decision frames and attributions that work subconsciously against
individuals with characteristics that different from those shared by
members of the mainstream.

The impact of these "unintentional" biases on promotions has not been
fully investigate.  Unfortunately, while innate differences may have
roles in observed success differences,  the attractiveness of resorting
to such factors can and does obscure  psychological factors that have
greater explanatory power.

As Ginny mentioned, even if there are innate differences, the
distribution of abilities between populations do overlap. Students at
Harvard are on average  smarter than students at Univ. of Florida. Yet,
there are many students at UF who are competitive with the best and
brightest at Harvard  (for fans of standardized testing, UF typically
gets one or more 1600 SAT students each year). However, it  is  an
enticing trap to believe that there is something innately better about
students who attend Ivy league/type schools than students who attend
public universities. These beliefs in some instances become
self-fulfilling prophesies.

Until the biological sciences identify some genetic sequence that is
tied to success in academia and industry, I think it is highly dangerous
and counterproductive for social scientists to travel the innate
differences road.

Robert Thomas