FACULTYTALK Archives

February 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Ingulli, Elaine" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:48:44 -0500
I assume this has no chance of passage? Are people doing anything about it?

re: Churchill.

(a) I agree that there is a good 1st A argument here--although I think the standard for govt as employer (rather than govt vs. citizen) is still the Pickering-Connick test: Assuming matter of public concern (clear to me), does prof's speech interests outweigh college's interest in efficient/effective delivery of education/research etc?--rather than compelling state interest.  Still seems to me that he wins.

(b) I thought the purpose of tenure to assure our freedom to speak and research etc.-- but increasingly universities/colleges are trying to find ways to narrow that to our fields of expertise, etc. Check out the aaup statements on academic tenure and academic freedom--they have sometimes been champions of both.

This case seems so blatant to me because he's tenured--it gets stickier in other cases. (e.g. In today's Philadelphia Inquirer, there is a story of a Penn psych asst prof who seems to have little chance of getting tenure of the merits (no good pubs since 2001, lower student evaluations than others in the pscyh dept., refusal to retool his course in Psych of Ethnicity to satisfy his dept)--Anyway, his claim is that his job is being threatened by his views that Sept 11 attacks were an inside job, articles alleging NATO gframed Milosevic, and that US is secret enemy of Israel.--he's under review now.