FACULTYTALK Archives

February 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Petty, Ross" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:37:00 -0500
As someone whose family would say is obsessed with family history, I
find all of this fascinating.  Although I have far more English ancestry
than Scottish, I identify myself as Scottish.  It is possible Ward
Churchill does the same based on a family legend of his Indian heritage.
However, most of us family history hobbyists clearly identify legend as
such and search to prove (or disprove) it. It seems Churchill has done
neither.

Other than false inheritance, the only time this might matter is when
claiming clan leadership by blood descent.  My mother's Robertson
ancestors are reportedly descended from the chiefs of the clan, but I
can't find the connection and it would be much more distant than the
current clan chief, if it exists at all.  On my father's side, I have
reasonably strong evidence of descent from James I of Scotland (Not
James VI of Scotland and James I of United Kingdom).  But even if
Scotland someday becomes independent, I am not very close in line to be
king.

Ross D. Petty
Professor of Marketing Law
Babson College