locks of hair

Barbara Austen <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 24 Feb 2005 08:50:20 -0500

Here are the responses I received to my query about locks of hair in
manuscript collections.  Again, thanks to everyone who shared their
experience and expertise.

<We have a couple of locks of hair in our rare books collection – a lock of
Keats’ hair, to be exact – from the library of Leigh Hunt.  It is mounted
under isinglass and bound in book form, and is accompanied by a statement of
provenance.

As for locks of hair in manuscript collections, I haven’t ever come across
one, but I would tend to keep it and have our conservation folks make an
appropriately sealed envelope for it.  As for a rationale…  it’s not
strictly archival and it has no research value whatsoever.  But I guess this
is where the “human” side of our collections comes in – I just wouldn’t
throw away anything that intimate.

<I do not have a lock of hair  but a twelve inch queue of human hair worn by
a missionary to China when he was “in country” with his duties. Can’t see
tossing it; it signified his desire to identify with his people. But it does
present questions!

<My inclination is to keep it with the letter  or photograph it came with,
or have it somewhere else in the collection and cross-referenced to the item
which it came with or has most significance  with.  I would definitely
encase it in a little bag or paper envelope of some sort.  I think that not
encasing it would be bad for the lock of hair but especially bad for the
items on which it touches in the collection.  I doubt 19th century hair is
any better archivally-speaking than 20th century hair, but who knows?  Less
long-term chemical adjustments over time (example, trend/habit to dye hair
now, add mouse, hairspray, etc.)

<Hair is just like fingernails only pliable.  Dead cells/ceratin.  As an
ex-hairdresser, there should be no problem having old locks around.
Just like the jewelry made from funereal hair, it is safe to wear and
have around.

<Speaking as someone who has recently taken some museum courses, I would
caution you against the usual archival methods of keeping materials.  We
have
all been taught that acid is bad and alkaline is good.

However, hair is, in museum parlance, "proteinaceous" material rather than
the
cellular stuff paper is made out of.  An acid environment is actually good
for
proteinaceous materials.  Plastic is not.  So go ahead and use that highly
acidic tissue that came with your new shoes, or other acidic wrapper,
separate
the hair from the collection and put it with other proteinaceous materials
if
possible, in order to isolate these materials from your paper.  Leather is
an
example of another proteinaceous material that should be treated differently
from paper (which is a paradoxical question when it comes to books, eh!).
Among other considerations, proteinaceous materials are home to different
kinds of pests that you will not want to attract to your paper.  Librarians
know all about that one!

As far as the hair's archival significance, the word "archives" is changing
in
meaning.  We are all archives of DNA, and at some time in the future someone
may be able to find out something about the former owner of the hair using
sophisticated testing on a tiny amount.  This has been true of historical
figures such as Napoleon, so why not your historical personality?

<In a previous life I was an archivist in the Manuscript Division of the
Library of Congress and that institution has as part of its Thomas Jefferson
Papers a box containing many snippets of Jefferson's hair, probably cut by
himself or his slave barbers at various times during his lifetime.  That
collection had been processed and re-processed several times by Library
staff over the years, at one time binding the manuscripts into volumes and
more recently unbinding them and putting everything in standard archival
document cases.  But the container used to hold the hair snippets was, from
my perspective, a very poor choice.  It was a large, flat, and unwieldy box,
roughly about 20" wide by 16" deep by 1" high.  Apparently the conservator
chose that box so that the hair snippets could be opened and shown attached
to an attractive display board to visiting VIPs and potential Library donors
. . . The individual snippets of hair--from fine baby hair to gray hair in
his old age--had at some time each been loosely bundled with thread and
labeled with dates, perhaps by the Jefferson family or by a nineteenth
century Library of Congress curator or a recent Library conservator.  Over
time and as the box was opened hastily and often for tours, which were
usually led informally by library administrators, hairs would come loose and
some entire snippets had eventually come unbound.  The last time I looked in
that box it was a mess, looking more like a dustpan of hair from a
barbershop and pretty much worthless to anyone wanting to use it for
research or scientific analysis.  Where I am going with this is that in
hindsight, years ago the Library conservators should have placed each
snippet of Jefferson's hair as it had been originally wrapped with thread
and dated into an individual ziplock polypropylene bag or a glassine
envelope.  The bags could then have been labeled and either placed on the
display board and kept in the same unwieldy oversize box, or perhaps put
into a standard archival document box that would have better fit on the
shelves and used folders and standard archival finding aid documentation to
identify each snippet by date, bag number, and folder. . . . I think it is
important that the hair samples be kept, that they be packaged either in
ziplock polypropylene bags or glassine envelopes, preferably stored
separately from and not inside books, or in the case of a letter behind it
as an attachment, and that the two be linked with obvious labeling and a
good paper trail.

< We have some hair in our collection, and are simply isolating the whole
book.

http://www.nsula.edu/watson_library/hair/

<We actually have a significantly large collection of hair in our Max Factor
collection ranging from Frank Sinatra's  to Andy Griffith's to Elizabeth
Taylor's to Jimmy Stewart's, and even the Duke's (John Wayne)- yes,
sometimes the Duke needed a piece for a movie.  We joke that maybe someday
we could clone our own spokespersons.

In terms of storage, our previous archivist decided to keep them in their
original paper envelopes within their original manila envelopes - all of
which contained information about the hair.  These are kept in several
Hollinger boxes in our collections area.  Although we never get them out,
they are definately some of the most unusual items we have.

Barbara Austen
Archivist
Connecticut Historical Society Museum
1 Elizabeth St.