ATEG Archives

April 2005

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:00:35 -0700
Cognitive views of language propose that all of our knowledge is stored
in units called schemas or frames. These are like screenplays for
typical events -- getting up in the morning, applying for a job, going
grocery shopping, attending a birthday party -- which allow us to
recognize an event and behave appropriately. Schema theory has featured
in studies of reading for some time now, because possessing and
pre-activating a schema related to the topic of the reading
("anticipatory set") improves reading comprehension, and lacking a
schema impedes it significantly.

Schemas are the knowledge bases within which the definitions of words
reside. "Sister" resides in a kinship schema; "candy" isn't just
anything sweet (fruit is not candy), but also involves notions like
"treat" (hence extensions to "eye candy" and "brain candy") and "not
meal food". "Pet" as a sort of animal depends on the notion of
domesticated animals that serve only as companions, which means they
have to contrast with beasts of burden and food -- competing animal schemas.

A few of you have mentioned putting words together that come from the
same domain of experience -- nautical words, etc. This exploits schemas;
it is easier for students to fit a new word into an existing schema by
relating it to other aspects of the domain.

Early-grade materials often do this: words about the sea; words for
things in the kitchen, etc. For reasons I do not understand this does
not continue much in the higher grades. I've seen some lists of words
like "occupational" or "history" or "science", but a lot of the words on
the list are not exclusive to that domain. They're in the list because
they were in the reading.

The other way humans organize their knowledge is in categories of like
things. My first exercise when I teach about vocabulary is to ask my
students to name 25 of the words they know that start with "m", _in
alphabetical order_. This is very hard, of course. We don't store words
in alphabetical order in our minds.

Then I ask them to name ten kinds of fruit. The whole class starts
calling out and we have 15 fruit names in less than a minute. Once
again, teaching materials for young children often work with categories
(animals; plants; occupations), but again, this disappears in the higher
grades. Why? Using the natural ways the mind organizes words facilitates
vocabulary expansion.

I advise my students (for when they become teachers) to work with their
kids to develop schema- and category-based "dictionaries". Each time
they get a list of new vocabulary words, they work on adding them to
these dictionaries. Word processing makes it very easy to adapt and
change such documents.

The game "Outburst" works on these two principles. It's a game in which
teams have to guess ten words that are on a card that the "emcee" holds.
Each list is based on either a category (Clint Eastwood movies, hobbies,
populous cities, volcanoes of the world) or a schema (things you find in
a bathroom, things associated with San Francisco, things you take to the
beach, etc.). I also use this in class. It's really excellent for ESL
teaching. But having kids make up an Outburst game derived from their
"dictionaries" could be an entertaining way to review vocabulary. Only
words from their dictionary earn points, just as in Outburst you get no
credit for naming something that does not appear on the card.

Johanna Rubba   Associate Professor, Linguistics
English Department, California Polytechnic State University
One Grand Avenue  • San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Tel. (805)-756-2184  •  Fax: (805)-756-6374 • Dept. Phone.  756-2596
• E-mail: [log in to unmask] •      Home page:
http://www.cla.calpoly.edu/~jrubba