ATEG Archives

April 2005

From:
Rebecca Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Apr 2005 08:06:16 -0500
On Saturday, April 2, 2005, at 05:17  PM, Jo Rubba wrote:

> As to responding to or critiquing state standards -- as part of a
> project undertaken by members of the Linguistic Society of America's
> Language in the School Curriculum committee, I am (actually, my student
> assistant is) compiling a comprehensive overview of state standards
> (all
> 50 states)

You are just in time to help us here in Louisiana.  A standard of some
sort is being formulated for teaching grammar.  Frankly, if the
government is involved, I don't trust it.  We have a very transient
school population and they are trying to come up with a curriculum
that, no matter where you are on Tuesday, (pick a month) (pick a time),
you'll get the same grammar lesson.  Grammar is no one's forte that I
can tell.  In fact, although native english speakers, English is often
a second language.  I'm not trying to be overly disparaging, but we are
a poor state.  Standards for teachers have been raised, but I am back
in school (at 53) to get my teacher's certificate and some of my
classmates are LEP native english speakers.  And if they make the grade
on paper....

Would one of you PLEASE make grammatical history in my wonderful
adopted state?

Rebecca Watson
old student, ATEG reader