ATEG Archives

April 2005

From:
Jo Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:36:32 -0700
I know that Ed is always irritated that we don't comment on his KISS
curriculum. I have to admit that I have visited Ed's site a number of
times, and -- well, I may be dense -- but I get confused as to where to
start to examine those initial lessons which help students begin
isolating prepositional phrases. It's a very rich site, and I'm not
clear on how various lessons correlate to particular grades. I am
usually also quite pressed for time, so I can't always cruise around
searching as I would like to.

Ed, is there a glossary somewhere on your site that defines your set of
grammatical terms, with links to lessons & examples that deal with them?
Can you give me a link to that first lesson on finding prepositional
phrases?

I was also wondering what you thought, Ed, of the various tips and
tricks I posted for helping students identify clauses by finding their
parts. I gave made-up example sentences, but of course teachers can
judiciously choose sentences from students' own writing that are
suitable for those initial steps of working with basic sentences before
moving on to more-complex ones.

Johanna Rubba, Associate Professor, Linguistics
English Department, Cal Poly State University
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Tel. 805-756-2184 ~ Dept. phone 805-756-2596
Dept. fax: 805-756-6374 ~  E-mail: [log in to unmask]