FACULTYTALK Archives

May 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Ingulli, Elaine" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 May 2005 17:57:25 -0400
Let me guess: Follets runs your bookstore?
Their policy (and it may be the policy elsewhere) is to order a % of the books we request--so yes, we run into this problem EVERY semester and we are in the midst of a huge war with our bookstore.
Many of us have started to recommend that students buy their books online (cheaper, easier)....I often get my division/library to buy a few copies and put them on reserve until the rest of the books come in.
I routinely spend the second class using an edited  (by me) "hot case" (I used the Abu Ali, detention case in January; great to talk re: US Constitution, etc., and he was in the news a lot several weeks after we had discussed it). That way you can share it with your class electronically.... I also teach an intro to Legal system/process by way of lecture/ Q&A. I put a dozen or so texts on reserve in the library (you know, all those freebies we get and I don't use) and assign the class to read the intro chapters--explaining that everyone will be reading something different, but that the main points will be the same and we can run through (a) litigation (b) intro to ADR (c) relationship of laws, etc. collectively.

Good luck/