FACULTYTALK Archives

June 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Miller, Carol J" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 20:12:09 -0500
Laura:

When did you become Asso. VPAA ! ?

Carol

-----Original Message-----
From: Academy of Legal Studies in Business (ALSB) Talk
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Laura Hartman
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 8:21 AM
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi all -

Of course, ranking of journals is an important issue at many
universities, especially for b-law faculty.  It is that process of
ranking journals (or grouping them into categories) that truly poses the
difficulty.  Also of relevance, at least in my experience is how much
should be published by a certain time.  One way to explore these issues
is to consider the outlets and publishing levels at other institutions.
For instance, since the aacsb asks accredited schools to have lists of
"aspirational peers," it may be relevant to consider publishing by these
institutions with regard to both comparable quality and quantity.  I
with several of my colleagues have gathered data on levels of publishing
by b-law faculty at 35 institutions.  The findings will appear in an
upcoming issue of the Midwest Law Review.

Laura

"NOTE: Until June 11, I will be on sabbatical and will
only be accessing email intermittently. However, it
still remains the best way to reach me.  If you need
to contact me via phone, you may contact me at
011-336-8379-1662."

Laura P. Hartman
Assoc. Vice President, Academic Affairs
Professor of Business Ethics
DePaul University, 1 E. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604
312/362-6569, fax: 312/362-6822

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/27/05 9:54 AM >>>

At George Mason, all of the areas have recently come up with journal
lists of approximately 40-50 journals in 3 or 4 categories:  Premier,
Superior, Major and (in some cases) Acceptable, which are going to used
to rate publications.  The legal studies faculty has promised a list as
well, but are unsure how to approach the task given the multitude of
journals in the law area.  We can publish in the journals from the other
areas, but now need a list of journals that are not listed by the other
areas.
Does anyone have such a list that is being used at their school?   Also,
what justification is used for the ranking and inclusion? I would
appreciate receiving any ideas of lists that you might have.
Thanks.
Linda

Linda B. Samuels, M.P.A., J.D.
Professor of Legal Studies