ATEG Archives

July 2005

From:
"Hadley, Tim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:17:26 -0500
Craig, Bill, Ben, and others,

Thanks for these great suggestions. Believe it or not (great minds . . .), I had already thought of the "perusing conference programs" approach, and I plan to do exactly that with the upcoming NCTE program, which I will not be able to attend. Same for 4Cs, because even if I attend, I won't be able to make every session. I think it's a great idea to email these presenters and ask them to consider submitting their material for publication. Some will, some won't, but it is still a good thing to do. I also very much like the "grad student" approach, because they write papers every semester. Some of them are sure to relate to grammar in some way.

Regarding the perplexity you feel as to why more people do not seek to publish in our journal, I suspect that it has to do with 2 things: (1) the natural inertia that has to be overcome to get something into publishable form, and (2) the narrow scope of our subject matter. Not everyone is interested in grammar, and some would not want to admit it, even if they were--there would be political fallout. But, as I said at the conference, we have enough members to keep our *journal* (and that's what it is) well supplied with good, solid articles.

Thanks for this good discussion,

Tim

Tim Hadley
Research Assistant, The Graduate School
Ph.D. candidate, Technical Communication and Rhetoric
Texas Tech University