FACULTYTALK Archives

August 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Alan C. Roline" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:59:49 -0500
Mary-Kathryn,

This seems to be a recurring problem at many AACSB schools.  Here at UMD I
have been able to convince the Dean and Chair of the Intellectual
Contributions Committee that Law Reviews, albeit student-edited, are
legitimate sources for legal publication and as such should be considered
the same as "peer reviewed" journals under AACSB standards, at least for our
business law profs. They would not go so far as to accept other types of
editorially reviewed publications, however.

Dan Herron and several others have helped me make the case for that in my
past skirmishes over that issue. I think what also helps is showing them a
few articles in the various law reviews, and letting them compare that with
anything published in most "peer reviewed" academic journals in almost any
discipline.  I would say that the level of such scholarship holds up pretty
well, by comparison.  It also doesn't hurt to mention that the law school's
faculty are expected to publish in such law reviews to achieve tenure at
most any law school.

Just my two-cents worth.

Al

Alan C. Roline
Chair and Associate Professor of Business Law
Department of Accounting, 125 SBE
Labovitz School of Business and Economics
University of Minnesota Duluth
412 Library Drive
Duluth, Minnesota 55812
Phone: (218) 726-8550