FACULTYTALK Archives

August 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Michael O'Hara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:02:11 -0500
ALSBTALK:

      Below is my reply to Mary-Kathryn.  Because I suspect her Dean might

read the private email version, I deleted, but will not reinsert, my reply

to her P.S.  To wit:  Do not confuse a request made with statement made

with sufficient authority that the statement equates with an order.  This

is not to say it is wise to taunt a person falsely claiming authority in

one context when that person holds authority in another context.

Mary-Kathryn:

      [1]   It is a joy to receive your affirmation.

      [2]   Your welcome, I hope it reduces confusion and increases

effective and efficient strategic action.

      [3]   I was only vaguely able to recall authoring an ALSBTALK posting

with the phrase "cart before the horse".  So I checked the ALSBTALK

archives.  I assume you mean this posting.

http://listserv.muohio.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0506&L=ALSBTALK&P=R100&D=0&H=0&I=-3&O=T&T=0

Yes, you may share that within your college.

      [4]   Your school is an accredited AACSB school.

http://www.aacsb.edu/members/Omd3/Profile_page.asp?id=31324

AACSB uses a definition of "intellectual contribution" that is so broad it

forces each accredited member to pick and use a narrower definition.  AACSB

expects the school to be consistent in its Mission and related documents.

      If a school has chosen to hire lawyers to teach business law, then

      either [4A] the school must expressly chose and expressly inform

those lawyers to -not- publish in the traditional law research outlets;

      or [4B] the school has implicitly chosen, by hiring lawyers to teach

business law, to have those lawyers publish in the traditional law research

outlets.  Tradition is implicit, deviation from tradition must be explicit

if the school is to be well managed.

      The vast majority of law research outlets are law school based law

reviews.  Nearly 100% of the law school based law reviews use editorial

boards that are exclusively made up of law students.  These editorial board

duties are part of the doctorate education of law students who anticipate

an academic career.  Also, by law school tradition, the review process of

articles does not use a double blind referee:  it is single blind.  The

author does not know who serves as referee;  but the referee knows who is

the author.  There are some law research outlets that are not affiliated

with law schools.  I am Editor of one such journal; the ALSB journal is

another.  Those few law research outlets that are not affiliated with law

schools most often, but not always, use the double blind referee process.

My journal does and the ALSB journal does.  As proud as I am of my journal,

I could not in good conscience assert its quality exceed that of the law

reviews at Harvard, Stanford, Michigan, etc., etc., etc., all of which are

edited by students and all of which use single blind referee process.

      The student edited single blind referee process law reviews are more

academic than most of the professional edited double blind referee process

law journals.  The ALSB Business Law Journal is the lone exception.  My

journal has a clear practitioner slant.

      It has been my experience that most proponents of double blind

referee process assert that preference in the context of law reviews having

no idea how that preference will sculpt the publishable research.  Most

proponents desire a more academic slant, but assert that preference in a

context that generates a more practitioner slant.

      AACSB has crafted its accreditation requirements mindful of the great

diversity of forms of intellectual output.  That is why it merely uses the

rubrics of "PRJ" and "OIC".  See, on PDF page 50 of 79, in "TABLE II:

SUMMARY OF FACULTY QUALIFICATION, INTELLECTUAL CONTRIBUTIONS AND

PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES

(RE: Standards 2, 9, & 10)" of the January 1, 2005 version of the AACSB

"Eligibility Procedures and Accreditation Standards for Business

Accreditation".

http://cba.unomaha.edu/faculty/mohara/web/AACSBstand1_1_05.pdf

      Note especially footnote 5 of that Table II.

      "5 The number of intellectual contributions should be listed in these

columns. The peer reviewed journal columns marked “PRJ” should enumerate

all of those intellectual contributions that have appeared in journal

article form reviewed by academic and practitioner colleagues. The other

intellectual contributions columns marked “OIC” should enumerate all other

intellectual contributions regardless of the form of the contributions,

including (but not limited to) research monographs, scholarly books,

chapters in scholarly books, textbooks, proceedings from scholarly

meetings, papers presented at academic or professional meetings, publicly

available research working papers, papers presented at faculty research

seminars, publications in trade journals, in-house journals, book reviews,

written cases with instructional materials, instructional software, and

other publicly available materials describing the design and implementation

of new curricula or courses. Intellectual contributions must be publicly

available, i.e., proprietary and confidential research and consulting

reports do not qualify as intellectual contributions."

      The key word in this context is the word "colleagues".  Given the

tenor of the items used as examples of OIC versus the tenor of the items

given as examples of PRJ, it would take a very odd construction of the word

"colleagues" to render a law school hosted law review OIC.  It is feasible,

but it is very odd.

      One thing is for sure, while AACSB requires schools to track PRJ, and

while AACSB requires more PRJ from Ph.D. granting accredited schools than

from accredited schools only granting the BSBA, no where does AACSB define

"peer reviewed".  The ancient accreditation Standards of AACSB (i.e., those

pre-dating the Mission driven, continuous improvement focused Standards)

did make attempts to define and to require double blind academic referee

journals with a majority of the editorial board from academe; however,

those ancient Standards were expressly rejected in favor of the expansive

and inclusive Standards used today.  Each school, based on its Mission,

defines PRJ, and thus by default OIC.

      (As an aside, let me note that what ever definition of PRJ and of OIC

the school picks is a definition that applies to all faculty:  i.e., same

definition used for full assignment faculty as part time assignment;

participating same as supporting; tenured same as tenure track;

academically qualified as professionally qualified.  The choices on

intellectual contributions are the most important choices in the Mission.)

      An AACSB school -could- expressly choose to categorize all law

reviews hosted by all law schools as OIC.  However, to do so implicitly

would be to violate Standard 10: "The faculty has, and maintains,

intellectual qualifications and current expertise to accomplish the mission

and to assure that this occurs, the school has a clearly defined process to

evaluate individual faculty member’s contributions to the school’s

mission."  To -implicitly- reject the tradition of a whole field (e.g.,

law) would not be "clearly defined".  This is a choice that must be done

explicitly by the faculty.  This choice has significant consequences on the

intellectual contributions of the school.

      The Mission of your school, especially its second to last bullet

(i.e., "Recruiting high quality faculty and staff and providing them with

sufficient resources to support excellence in teaching, primarily applied

and pedagogical research, and service."

http://www.aacsb.edu/members/Omd3/mission_page.asp?inst=818) could support

such a choice.  However, such a choice would be expected for all faculty,

again, given your Mission.  That is, faculty in management also would be

denied rewards (e.g., tenure) if their publications primarily strayed into

discipline based scholarship, that is, were published in outlets of tenor

similar to law school hosted law reviews.

      The portfolio of intellectual contributions generated by the school's

faculty must serve the school's Mission.  However, any single faculty

member's academic freedom allows for that faculty member to generate any

research.  That is the tension all Deans manage.  That is the tension AACSB

wants the assembled faculty to address in crafting the school's Mission.

      Lastly, let me note that AACSB's requirement is that the school craft

and implement a Mission.  The school's Mission must be consonant with the

hosting institution's Mission.  To the extent UWG recognizes a faculty

member's academic freedom in generating research, AACSB requires the school

to also recognize that academic freedom.  The school is not at liberty to

infringe a UWG faculty member's academic freedom when the school crafts and

when the school implements its AACSB mandated Mission.   The Dean's

response to a business law professor publishing in the Harvard Law Review

ought to be the same as the Dean's response to a management professor

publishing in the Journal of Management.

Michael

Professor Michael J. O'Hara, J.D., Ph.D.

Finance, Banking, & Law Department        Editor, Journal of Legal

Economics

College of Business Administration        (402) 554 - 2014 voice fax (402)

554 - 3825

Roskens Hall 502                    www.AAEFE.org

University of Nebraska at Omaha           www.JournalOfLegalEconomics.com

Omaha  NE  68182

(402) 554 - 2823 voice  fax (402) 554 - 2680

http://cba.unomaha.edu/faculty/mohara/web/ohara.htm