ZOO408A Archives

August 2005

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Anne HOOKE <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anne HOOKE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 07:09:13 -0400
Thanks Casey - You have certainly convinced me!  Also, I checked the
photos of cowbird eggs on the web the one I have is at least consistent
with the cowbird ID.  But alas, the chickster did not make it through
the night.  But I will know what to do next time, and I certainly
learned a lot!  Thanks for your very prompt response to my call for
help.
Cheers, AMH

>>> "TUCKER, Casey" <[log in to unmask]> 8/21/2005 11:12 PM >>>
A species' ability to deal with Brown-headed Cowbirds depends on the
habitat they're in, and whether they've co-evolved with cowbirds or not.
 Cowbirds are more grassland/shrub habitat species and so other species
in those habitats have evolved ways of identifying and dealing with
cowbird nest parasitism.  I think Common Yellowthroats are a species
that has been mentioned as being capable of recognizing and dealing with
cowbird parasitism.  However, cowbirds are also capable of exploiting
edge habitats.  As development has occurred resulting in greater forest
habitat fragmentation, which results in increased amounts of edge
habitat, Cowbirds have been able to exploit areas where they previously
have not had access to.  Additionally it means that forest interior
species that have not previously been exposed to cowbird parasitism in
great amounts are now more often exposed to them.  These forest interior
species (wood thrushes, tanagers, wood warblers, etc.) are the species
we think of most often when we hear about the perils of nest parasitism
by cowbirds.  Kirtland's Warblers are the poster child of forest species
that have experienced major population declines partly due to habitat
fragmentation and cowbird nest parasitism.  Forest fragmentation has
occurred so rapidly that many forest interior species have not been able
to adapt to the increased parasitism.

So, depending on what habitat you live in or near may help determine
whether your local species are capable of dealing with cowbirds or not.

Of course I'm not 100% certain that you've got a cowbird, though it did
seem like one from the photos.

Good luck!

Casey