ZOO408A Archives

August 2005

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Aug 2005 14:47:58 -0400
We had another successful morning banding today and it looks like passerine
fall migration is warming up!! We banded a female Magnolia Warbler this
morning. In addition, we banded an Ovenbird in full molt--head covered with
pin feathers [with exception of two or three orange crown feathers] and
wings with four primaries in various states of regrowth.  The Catbirds
appear to be flocking in the underbrush--I'm starting to think that they
are as numerous as the young Starlings now massing in the fields; just not
as easily seen.  We are getting 6 or 8 in one net at a time, nearly all
hatch year birds. In the past two banding sessions we have captured a total
of 50 or 51 Catbirds!  We also banded two Trail's Flycatchers, both after
hatch-year, and had no recaptures which might signify they are also moving.
Cheers
Dave