FACULTYTALK Archives

October 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Ellis, Liz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:35:21 -0600
Although I have never had this exact problem, I have had things happen
for which I had to offer my students an abject apology and a set choices
that were not ideal.  I have found that a sincere and heartfelt apology
goes a long way toward making things right.  Of course, if you have been
understanding and reasonable when students have committed foul-ups
(overslept on exam day etc.) it really helps.

Another option:  you can't give everyone an "A" in my opinion because
grades in classes are our representation to the world (and employers)
regarding a student's mastery of the material.  But before giving out
the scores on the exams you do have, I would give EVERYONE in the class
the option of (1) reallocating the weighting as has been suggested by
others so as not to "count" the lost exam, or (2) retaking the exact
same exam.  Students whose exams are not lost would have to choose
without knowing their grade on the midterm.  The "preview" of the exam
might give everyone a better idea of what and how to study, but then
they just learn more.

There is a guy, can't remember his name, who goes around recommending a
teaching strategy that always allows everyone to retake the exam (he
does write a new one) if they think they did badly.

Liz Ellis