FACULTYTALK Archives

October 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ginny Maurer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Oct 2005 21:44:39 -0400
At the University of Florida, the four credit undergraduate Legal
Environment of Business course (taught by Robert Emerson) includes a
significant portion of business ethics material. In addition, we run about
seven sections (30-40 students each) of a two credit elective in business
ethics (taught by Davoid Hoch). Recently the Management Department decided
to make this course required in the management major.

At the MBA level, we have a two credit module (seven weeks) in legal
environment. All of our courses are two credit modules, altho economics,
stats, accounting and finance require 2 two credit modules; OB, marketing,
OM, b-law are 1 module. We have had a two credit elective in business
ethics for many years, and will run threee sections of that this year. In
addition, the MBA committee has approved a one-credit required course in
"The Ethical Role of the Manager" to replace the one credit required
leadership course. This will go to the general faculty soon.

All of these afore-mentioned courses (legal environment and ethics) are
taught by business law faculty. No one seems to be concerned about or
contest this.

In addition, in one of our executive format MBA courses, we (I) are
introducing a three credit course called "Law and Ethics of Corporate
Governance", which has the basic MBA law class as a pre-requisite.

Ginny