B-ORGPRES Archives

November 2005

B-ORGPRES@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Nay-Nay Abston <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nay-Nay Abston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:19:42 -0500
Hello Fellow Leaders,

I know it's real short notice, but I figured that I would still make an
attempt to get you all to come out to a really awesome AIESEC event.

We will be showing a documentary called “Invisible Children” which
discusses the lives of child soldiers in Uganda. Northern Uganda is in the
midst of a civil war that is tearing apart the population. Rebel forces
are constantly in need of more soldiers, and without willing participants,
they continually kidnap children and mold them into hardened killers. To
avoid this fate, thousands of children leave their homes to find safety.

“The war continues to take its toll on those who have been suffering for
nearly two decades. The displaced now number 1.5 million. Gulu alone hosts
an estimated 15,000 children nightly, who sleep in the bus park, emergency
accommodation centers, or—when these overflow—on the verandas of local
Samaritans. The children who do this become more prone to illness, hunger,
vagrancy, and exploitation” (InvisibleChildren.com).

   By showing the documentary, we hope to raise awareness about these
events and hopefully encourage students, faculty, and staff to take some
time to learn about what goes on in other parts of the world that are too
often ignored by the press.
   We will be collecting donations to help better the lives of these
children at the event, but there is no admission cost.

Invisible Children
A documentary on the plight of child soldiers in Uganda
Tuesday, November 15, 2005
7pm, Heritage Room (Shriver Center)

I encourage everyone to come to the film and please pass this along to
others in your respective organizations. For those that cannot attend but
are still interested in the cause, please visit our tables near the food
court in Shriver November 14-18, where we will also be collecting
donations and talking about Uganda.

Feel free to also visit the Invisible Children website:
http://www.invisiblechildren.com/

Nay-Nay

Anjene T. Abston
President