FACULTYTALK Archives

November 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dan Levin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Oct 2005 02:32:53 -0500
As always, Bill Shaw makes insightful points.

Here's my question:  Is Patrick Fitzgerald eligible for the
Presidential Medal of Freedom?  And if Mr Fitzgerald is not eligible
for that honor, who is?  (Let's ignore for the moment whether
President GW Bush would consider awarding Fitzgerald that medal ...
regrettably, the answer is probably no ... so could not a future
president award Mr Fitzgerald that honor?)

I am reminded today of a statement by the brilliant (now deceased)
Cornell Law Professor Irving Younger:  "Those Senators [on the US
Senate Watergate Committee] deserve the thanks of the Republic
because they probably saved the Republic."  (See Irving Younger, "The
Art of Cross-Examination (ABA Section of Litigation, 1976) page 24).

Special Prosecutor Fitzgerald (let's recall that he is a Republican),
likewise deserves the thanks of the nation for investigating actions
by White House officials that have threatened the nation's security.

Dan Levin

Daniel A. Levin, JD, MBA
Associate Professor of Business Law
Minnesota State University, Mankato