FACULTYTALK Archives

November 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Halsey, Brian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 2005 10:54:46 -0500
I find that Google is invaluable when I suspect plagiarism or other forms of cheating.  In fact, yesterday I received a paper that was exceedingly good from an otherwise marginal student.  I Googled a few of the better lines, and my enterprising student had cobbled together a paper from no less than three cheat sites.   It seems that I get one of these in every semester, despite the fact that I specifically tell students that I will check all of their work for cheating.

Proof is really easy at that point – merely point to the html link at the website that has a good chunk of the student’s paper lying there – word for word – and let the chips fall where they may.

A good indicator of cheating (enough to make me investigate further) is usually a massive improvement in research and writing skills; or tenses and verb forms (and fonts) switch that switch from paragraph to paragraph, or even within sentences of the paper, or really good papers that are slightly off topic.

Finally - and this is a good one – have the students submit their papers electronically, and check the properties of the paper (under “File” in Word).  Lots of good stuff is in there.  Although it is not dispositive, it is a good indicator of cheating when the file is listed as being created in April 1999 for your fall 2005 assignment, and the author is listed as someone from a computer registered at another school.   It is enough to make me do a little extra research.

Now – if they would only spend more time studying instead of working around…..

Brian Halsey

Professor, Peirce College