FACULTYTALK Archives

December 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Petty, Ross" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 13:54:18 -0500
If I recall correctly, the Journal of Public Policy & Marketing and the
other marketing journals for which I review routinely send out the
editor's letter (blinded) to the reviewers with the other reviews.  In
this way, the first review is independent, but the reviewers get to see
if the editor adopted what they had to say and what other reviewers had
to say and whether the editor preferred their advice.  This can help
people become better reviewers and learn the quality level and features
being sought by the editor.
If the paper comes back on a revise and resubmit, the past reviewer
comments are routinely sent with the revised paper and the author's
comments back to reviewers.  The original reviews are needed to
understand how the authors have responded.

Ross D. Petty
Professor of Marketing Law
Babson College