FACULTYTALK Archives

December 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dan Levin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2005 00:07:17 -0600
ALSBers,

Tom Zupanc has just accused me, on this listserv, of saying that
*all* US soldiers are torturers.

I did not say that, I do not believe that, and it is not right to
accuse me of saying it, especially after I clearly said in another
post on this listserv that I am proud of my students and friends in
the US armed forces and that the nation owes them a tremendous debt
of gratitude.  I did say that *some* US  soldiers, CIA agents, and
private contractors working for the US government have committed
torture, a statement proven by the Abu Ghraib photos and reports
issued by the US government itself.

I never used the word "all" in this regard ... not even one single
time. There is a tremendous difference between "all" and "some."

The accusation against me is especially hurtful since my father
served as a Captain in the US Army Medical Corps in World War II, in
South and Southeast Asia.  My dad's US Army service makes me and
everyone in my family extremely proud.

Dan Levin
Minnesota State