FACULTYTALK Archives

December 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Levin, Murray S" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Dec 2005 13:27:40 -0600
A first natural comment is that if you are "not finding anything on point", it is the kind of issue that could be worth disputing (assuming the financial aspects of the case render it worthwhile), and the case may ultimately turn on the specific facts of the case and the sympathies of a judge acting through equity.  After all, equitable reliance/estoppel issues are rather subject to discretion.

That said, I am probably a little more inclined to view this as you have (i.e. your "sense . . ."). Arguing for the subcontractor, I would assert that the offeror is the master of the offer and this offeror specified the time within which acceptance had to be made. Drennan is based on equitable principles of reliance/estoppel -- here the contractor relied (per Drennan), but the contractor subsequently failed to comply with the timing terms of the offer. The main thrust of Drennan is that the offeror (subcontractor) cannot revoke the offer. This offeror (subcontractor) has not done so. To further support this, I would point out that "lapse" is not mentioned in sec. 37.

If I were hired to represent the general contractor, I would argue the following: (1) my invitation for bids was worded in such a way that the bid could only be submitted based on parameters dictated by me in my invitation. (Of course, this may not be factually true to the case that you are analyzing.) (2) It is unreasonable to expect a general contractor to carefully scrutinize bids to make sure they fully comply with the invitation for bids or include some unusual additional or different terms; consequently, justice/equity favors the reliance factor -- not a big deal that our notice to the sub came a little late.

As to the section 43 issue ("indirect communication of revocation"), perhaps I am not understanding you, but I don't see an issue. This would seem to be of no effect in the context of reliance/estoppel. The equities of reliance would prevail -- the offeror (the sub) cannot revoke, so learning of inconsistent conduct by the sub would not substitute for communication of a revocation of this offer.

Murray Levin
University of Kansas