ZOO408A Archives

December 2005

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 20:26:19 -0500
Casey,

Regarding your question about Red-tailed Hawk pairing, Peterjohn (in
Birds of Ohio) gives the earliest reported nesting as January 24, over a
month from now.  However, in my experience seeing Red-tails paired up is
not an unusual experience on a Christmas count.  (For example, I saw it
a few times on the Kingston count, which is usually on January 1.)  So
perhaps Red-tails have fairly long "honeymoons" -- or whatever the term
for the period between establishing pairs and building nests.

Bill Heck